(urth) The Wizard

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:39:22 PDT 2012

No dia 06/03/2012, às 14:46, Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com> escreveu:

> "But it's not all subjective, right?"
>
> A case can be made that it is all subjective, because we can never know the author's motives, but that seems like a petty objection (that, of course, leads to more petty objections for which we can thank postmodernism). <349.gif>  I just think talking about "primary" vs. "other" and "lesser"  allusions is just an odd way to think about a work of fiction; especially when people use phrases like "an allusion to" as code for "this part of the text means".  It is one thing to trace allusions, and another to draw grandiose conclusions about Christ having been in one universe or another, etc.  I think it reads a bit too much into the books, and that if we didn't already know going in that Wolfe was a Catholic, we wouldn't be making these conclusion.  It is only because we know he is a devout Catholic that we put more emphasis on the Christian allusions than the pagan ones.  And I highly doubt the knowledge that Wolfe is Catholic is a key part of the "literary analysis toolkit" he wants us to bring to his works.

As I've stated boringly to tears, it's the knowledge that Wolfe is a catholic that makes me almost certain that either Briah's Jesus wasn't the Son of God or Briah's Humanity is fundamentally worse than us. I can't envision a world that has already been visited by Christ degenerating into Urth. Iow, it's the knowledge that Wolfe is a catholic that makes me believe the Christian trappings of Briah are more form than substance.