(urth) The Wizard

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sun Mar 11 07:55:55 PDT 2012

On 3/11/2012 6:19 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* Nick Lee <mailto:starwaterstrain at gmail.com>
>
>     Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>  > > Clear references to Jesus of Nazareth are not ?quasi-Christian
> symbols and concepts?. And did
>  > > those societies have the Sign of the Cross? Did they have rosary beads?
>  > The cross dates back to the stone age.
> I didn’t refer to the cross. I referred to the *Sign* of the Cross.
>  > Rosary beads are not native to Christianity. They were
>  > borrowed from the East. Most symbolism in Christianity can be traced
> directly to Mithraism.
> Prayer beads and knotted cords etc. existed before Christianity. Silk’s
> beads, however, have a cross and the beads come in decades. Do Mithraic
> beads have the same characteristics?
>
>  > > Allah is referred to in the character name lists as ?A forgotten
> god. (Perhaps an alternative
>  > > name for the Outsider.)? How direct do you want Wolfe to be?\
>  > As for Allah, that was not originally a reference to the god of the
> Israelites, as I'm sure you know.
> Certainly. But do you accept that Islam at least must have existed in
> Urth’s past? If so, it is hard to imagine a history that would have
> produced Islam but not Christianity.

I don't see that it's that hard. Allah was one of the gods of the Kaaba,
whom Mohammed's father served in a debased, idolatrous form of Judaism.
Mohammed sought to reform this, and was forced to flee by the unhappy
establishment. It's my understanding that he wasn't until then that he
learned of Christianity, and apparently only got a half-baked version of
it then.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >