(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 09:47:03 PST 2012

The only thing I would add to Craig and Marc's comments is the
qualification that I think some of Wolfe's characters *do* actually
experience genuine redemption, but that it's never finished, but always
ongoing - it has arrived truly but only in part, to help guide
*through*darkness and mystery.  But those characters are indeed now in
communion
with the Community of the Infinite - be it ever so shaky or intermittent or
in process/progress.  Again, I think Wolfe is here evincing a New Testament
eschatology of an 'already-not-yet' kingdom of heaven and salvation.
 Indeed, it's often salvation through paradox, a dancing redemption in
movement and counterpoise (a la Chesterton, O'Connor, and the poetry of
George Herbert), not a static status of 'saved'.

Wolfe is a 'spiritual/mysterious' writer not only in the sense of his
'elisions' and 'uncertainties' and aching absences of 'the most important
information... that can give everything meaning' - but also in the
occasional bursts or hints of numinous* presence* (especially in the
recurring eucharistic imagery and scenes):  some of those moments of the
miraculous, especially when the Outsider manifests a glimpse of his
presence - be it a gentle voice in the ear or a giant face in the sky - are
spine tingling with the possibilities of spiritual realism for me.  Not to
mention that same presence that is felt, perhaps more slyly, but equally,
in some of the exquisite moments of* agape* love exhibited by characters (I
always think of Silk-Horn caressing wee Olivine's metal head - yet another
scene associated with the eucharist).

-DOJP