(urth) The Wizard

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:06:01 PST 2012

>Gerry Quinn: Famously, Wolfe once said - in relation to BotNS I think –
>that he tried to tell the reader everything once and once only.  He did not
>suggest telling him 0 times.

>There are a variety of religions on Urth, and little description of them, and
>we only see a small part of the planet.  Christianity may well persist
>underground, or may even have changed its form a little and be all around.

By your own principle, Wolfe would not put Christians in his story by
mentioning them 0 times. You are suggesting that Wolfe is presenting a future
in which we can degenerate into being just "a little" Christian? Or that a
future society can just be tinged with Christianity around the edges? My
impression is that his faith in Christianity is stronger than that.

In relation to Outsider possession, I am thinking of Tartaros. And as previously
mentioned, the pagan, archaic setting of the Sun Series leads me to the conclusion
that the Christian elements we see are heralds of something to come, not remants
of something departed. It is just my view and needn't be accepted by you or
anyone else.