(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 06:14:55 PST 2012

Yes, He had some nice moments. It was nice when he didn't make Abraham kill
his

son and nice how he saved Noah's family and some animals when the rest of
earth had

to die. (please forgive a little cynicism ;- )) Yes he was tender and
fatherly at

times.

Excellent progress, Lee.  Your theology is showing the first signs of
nuance.  (I'm on a cheeky roll, forgive me.)  I read the OT opposite to
your cynicism and see the intermittent divine punishments through the lense
of the constant, continual, consistent emphasis on God's eternal goodness,
grace, mercy, and justice - these divine attributes are proclaimed,
demonstrated, and indicated as the basis of Israel's morality (e.g. mercy
toward slaves and outsiders enhsrined in the Law).  If God did indeed
command all the inhabitants of Canaan to be put to death to make way for
Israel, then I have to assume there is a justice in this I may not readily
see.  (And it was *only* in the Canaan instance - people often talk as if
the OT story is one unmitigated tale of God-ordained genocide - WRONG!)
For example, the account says God gave the Canaanite peoples about five
centuries to repent and change their ways (e.g. to stop murdering their
children as sacrifices to idols, cease oppressing their women and men with
temple prostitution, etc.) before he ordered Israel to eradicate them.  You
just can't reasonably construe that as arbitrary divine tyrranny - it is
totally consistent with the 'Genesis to Revelation' emphasis on God
heartily desiring the wicked to repent and be saved.  Furthermore, I can
only reason from my premises (that God as portrayed in the OT is only just
and good) that any 'innocent' (or rather, God-fearing) persons from that
nation who were killed in their eradication by the Israelites went on to
their 'reward' even though they had to suffer execution in this life due to
the overall hardened-to-the-point-of-no-return wickedness of their society
(hardened by their own wills long before God may have done any
'confirmation' hardening, as was the case in the Pharaoh scenario if you
read it carefully - Pharaoh hardens his own heart first in the narrative).
Thus, on my understanding, any 'good' Canaanites that sadly had to die (and
it was sad that the 'wicked' ones had to die too, even - nay,
*especially*- to God) are now with their Maker and Saviour in eternal,
unmitigated
glory and joy and are NOT complaining that God is unjust (unlike we, who
are still behind the 'veil of tears', are chronically tempted to do.)  Lee,
I'm not 'comfortable' with my reading of the Bible because I take that as a
sign that the reading is not very supple or subtle or defeasible and open
to revision.  I once again recommend you have done with comfort in theology
and hermeneutics and join the dance!  (Er, dang - guess that would make it
an 'interpretive dance' - didn't mean to go there.)

ANYWAY, that's probably the last time I'll try to enumerate any defense of
the OT God being as merciful and good as the NT God here.  I don't want
to take this discussion board too far off topic.  It's utterly relevant to
Wolfe's view of God worked out in his fiction, but it would take a closer
tracking between Bible and Solar Cycle (for example) to keep things
Wolfe-relevant.  I'm not prepared to do that at this time.  I'm very happy
to have this more general theological discussion with Lee or anyone else in
a proper forum for it (if I had time personally, that is).  It's well worth
having.  I hope maybe what I (and some others) have said can help at least
some people think twice before they make sweeping Dawkinsian
generalisations about these matters based on utterly unsophisticated
readings of OT/NT.  (Again, I'm not trying to insult or  bully, but I think
the point needs to be made sharply for the sake of perspicuity, not to
mention perspicacity.)

All of this is very relevant to Wolfe's fiction also in regard to allowing
a text to do what it does rather than reading so much of one's own agenda
into it so as to mangle it.  Again, I don't try to make Dan Simmons's texts
something other than what are often rather overtly atheist texts.  Nor do I
try to make Ursula Le Guin's texts something other than overtly
anarcho-taoist texts.  I let them preach their sermons to me because I find
much of their art so enjoyable and enriching and we share that in common.
Whilst being challenged by their artistically enfleshed worldviews I may
find elements of their works that I think actually favour my own view
better.  But I would be completely clear that when making such observations
I have at that point manifestly stepped outside of what those authors done
and taken things in directions their texts do not, on their own rationale,
indicate.  Let's do the same with Wolfe I suggest.  (And this isn't about
'sensibilities' towards people's beliefs and so on - it's about quality
literary analysis.)

-DOJP