(urth) The Wizard

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:46:58 PST 2012

"But it's not all subjective, right?"

A case can be made that it *is* all subjective, because we can never know
the author's motives, but that seems like a petty objection (that, of
course, leads to more petty objections for which we can thank
postmodernism). [?]  I just think talking about "primary" vs. "other" and
"lesser"  allusions is just an odd way to think about a work of fiction;
especially when people use phrases like "an allusion to" as code for "this
part of the text *means*".  It is one thing to trace allusions, and another
to draw grandiose conclusions about Christ having been in one universe or
another, etc.  I think it reads a bit too much into the books, and that if
we didn't already know going in that Wolfe was a Catholic, we wouldn't be
making these conclusion.  It is only because we know he *is* a devout
Catholic that we put more emphasis on the Christian allusions than the
pagan ones.  And I *highly* doubt the knowledge that Wolfe is Catholic is a
key part of the "literary analysis toolkit" he wants us to bring to his
works.