(urth) The Wizard

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Mar 2 09:01:43 PST 2012

From: James Wynn

On 3/2/2012 9:05 AM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
> I had just thought I'd seen some here making Dionysus the more primary
> allusion, but that could have been careless reading and skimming on my
> part as I'm unfortunately unable to give everything posted here a
> close read.

Yeah, but I think that's fair. The reference to "the son of Thyone", to
"Silent Silk" and "Silver Silk", the etymology of "inhuma" to Dionysus
(as I believe), and the parallels to the story of Midas. He's riffing
hard on Dionysus. I think it is as fair to view the Dionysus references
in exclusion to everything else as it is examine the Jesus references in
exclusion or to examine how Wolfe sees his myths legitimately conflated
with Jesus of Nazareth and what Wolfe is saying in bringing those
parallels out. He's not doing just one thing. That's one the amazing
things about the Long/Short Sun story.

In fact, “Silent Silk” and “Silver Silk” are clearly explained in the text.  The claimed association with Dionysus is based on some syllables of the eponyms resembling syllables in the names of two fauns, one of whom was associated with Dionysus, and neither of whom is mentioned anywhere in the text.

Wolfe isn’t “riffing hard” on Dionysus, IMO.  Some people are stretching hard on Dionysus.

- Gerry Quinn