(urth) Lupiverse)s)

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:07:46 PDT 2012

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>>? [Frankly, I don?t any Jesuit would
>> be shocked if you proposed that it may take a different form on different
>> planets of our own universe.]
>
> Yes, I think they would, at least if it involved a sacrificial death.

In any case, Wolfe fairly clearly rejects this view in the author's
note to 'La Befana' - while the story itself does turn on the idea
that Christ must be born anew on different planets, it's made clear
that this is a joke. On the other hand, the way he puts it suggests
that he _may_ actually think  the principle is true for universes.

C.S. Lewis, who accepts it - or at least is willing to run with it as
a fantasy postulate - for universes, definitely rejects it for
planets. But while I agree with you about the actual theology, I don't
think this position is so _obviously_ right that an author who seeks
to be orthodox could not think otherwise.