(urth) The Wizard

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 02:11:49 PST 2012

Sorry, I should clarify that I didn't detect any overt Judeo-Christian
elements (especially compared to other major Wolfe works) except Michael.
But, yes, as has been mentioned, the very concept of a Most High God is
lifted straight from Old Testament scripture (and other ancient
Mesopotamian texts?).  And yes, Michael's position to the Oden figure is
surely significant (symbolised by size-proportion to tingling effect, I
thought).  And yes, I was trying to say that I suspected Wolfe wove his
Catholic worldview deeply into the fabric of Wizard-Knight through various
means other than (what seems to me the mostly absent) way of direct
allusion.  I can't remember the ending of The Wizard, but the way The
Knight ended seemed fairly Christian 'eternal reward'/'heaven'-ish (and
again probably subsuming other myths of afterlife).

I guess I'm fairly shocked not to detect a eucharistic element, which
usually seems central to Wolfe's epic works.  But maybe that's the point?

-DOJP