(urth) Osiris = the Green Man in BOTNS?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 26 06:45:08 PST 2012

>>it was the north/west European ascendancy which really spread Christianity across the globe.
>>But for north/west Europe and Christianity to ascend, Egypt and Osiris had to fade then Greece,
>>Rome and Zeus, Dionysus and Pan had to fade.

>Jeff Wilson: The non-fading of the unrelated religions in India and China fail to
>support this hypothesis of Christian Manifest Destiny.

Since Alexander's empire reached almost to India, I think the religions of the region might have
had some impact on Christianity. Many think the Brahman-Vishnu-Shiva trinity of Hinduism may
have influenced the later Christian trinity.

But yes, on earth, Hinduism, Buddhism, and the further eastern Asian religions survived the
ascendency of Christianity in ways that Egyptian, Greco-Roman and Pagan/Gnostic beliefs did not.
Does Wolfe address this for Urth, in BotNS?

I think maybe he does in his reference to the Xanthic lands.

It could be argued that Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, etc. are more spiritually advanced religions
in comparison to the more primitive, naturist, polytheistic beliefs which preceded them. Does
Wolfe think of them as false or inferior beliefs which must fade in the face of Christianity?
Or does he think of them as parallels to Christianity; different paths to the same destination?

I dunno. But maybe the mystery and dearth of information we are given about the Xanthic lands
are Wolfe's way of saying he doesn't know himself.