(urth) The Book of the New Sun vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

nate jarvis natejarv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:15:09 PDT 2012

The main issue I see with discussing how much is "hidden" in ASOIAF is that
the series isn't finished yet. Marc mentions the "fan theory" about one
character's (Jon Snow) parentage. Martin has said he will reveal who that
character's parents are by series' end. Much of the discussion, like with
most in-progress series, seems to be focused on what will happen in future
books.

The big difference I see between the two is that Wolfe leaves so much out,
allowing readers to almost complete the storytelling process via their
interpretations and theories. ASOIAF rewards close reading in a different
way, though similar in that it hinges on "throwaway" lines or details. Many
of the minor characters seem to have their own arcs and motives and
what-have-you, which a casual reader (focusing on the major characters)
won't notice. The westeros forum isn't what it was five years ago, but
there's still good stuff (between the what-will-happen-next posts) to that
effect.

Martin, like Wolfe, is also a master of dialogue voice.

Nate.