(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: R.A. Lafferty

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:21:07 PDT 2012

Would you care to elaborate?  I have always had a hard time swallowing this
critique, regardless of the author.  It seems to imply that female
characters in fiction should act according to some preexisting template,
and that it is a failing on the part of the author to not follow that
template.  Fictional characters "can" act however the author wants or needs
them to, correct?  If Wolfe (or any other author) chooses to have all his
female characters be very similar to one another and display the same
quirks or character flaws, that is just repetitive writing, which is a very
different problem than "not knowing how to write women characters".  Put
another way; perhaps we never hear of women authors who "can't write men"
because it is less ingrained that male characters *ought* to act a certain
way.