(urth) If I already like ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 05:00:32 PDT 2012

On 4/18/2012 1:26 AM, pinlighter wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Stockhoff"
> <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
>

>> Wright did a brilliant Hodgson pastiche ... I forget the name of the
>> collection.
>
> "Awake in the Night."
>
> I published Mr Wright's story, in the first collection of Night Land
> fiction I edited,  ETERNAL LOVE.   It was brilliant, I agree (by far
> the best thing in the book) but you probably read it in one or other
> of the Best Of The Year anthologies it was picked up for.
>
> Mr Wright has written several other Night land stories.  I think the
> best of them all is "The Last Of All Suns," set aboard a
> nightmare-ridden starship in the last hours before the collapse and
> rebirth of the Universe (it is nontheless a Night Land story, set in
> that future).
>
> All his Night Land fiction can be found online for free my website
> www.thenightland.co.uk.
>
> Yours egobooishly
>
> hartshorn AKA Andy Robertson

Aha! It must have been you who sent me there in the first place.
Congratulations to you are in order. /Last of All Suns /is the one that
really sticks in my memory.

>>> .. William Hope Hodgson is great background to
>>> some of Wolfe's horror elements - I'm loving getting familiar with
>>> him.  (Lovecraft goes here too, of course.)
>
> Uh, not really.   Where is Hodgson's influence on Wolfe???
>
> Lovecraft, yes, of course

The extreme futurity and the giant slow-moving evil Beings from outer
space do feel familiar. And the Redoubt is a bit like Byzantium toward
the end, hyper-romanticized of course, and thus Nessus as well. But
that's about all the connections I see.