(urth) If I already like ...

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Tue Apr 17 18:05:32 PDT 2012

I find Sterling's short stories better than his novels, in general. I am
particularly fond of "Bicycle Repairman" and its sequel, "Taklamantan."
His collaboration with Rucker, "Big Jelly," is pretty good too. His
"Schismatrix" stories (and the novel of the same name) are excellent. I
actually thought "Holy Fire" was one of his weaker novels; perhaps I
should give it another try. "The Difference Engine" (with Gibson) has
grown on me with re-reading.

At this point I'm reminded of Neal Stephenson as well. The Baroque Cycle
is rather Wolfean and Powersian, in my opinion, infodumps aside.

I believe there's a big difference between the people who like Wolfe
(and Lewis, Tolkien, and some others) largely because their work is
heavily influenced by their Catholicism, and those who like Wolfe
because of his pre-post-modern-ish (to coin a phrase) sensibility. I'm
one of the latter, although the Catholicism works fine for me as a
background.

Dave Lebling