(urth) Seal of Pas

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 06:04:54 PDT 2011

Gerry Quinn: >Gerry Quinn: Bah, it’s just a credit card type number.  The only point is it has low entropy,
>but it doesn’t encode anything.  Stop thinking everything is overloaded with significance

Ack!!! now I am issuing orders to myself! I think you forgot to add "Humbug!" Gerry.

>Marc Aramini: After messing with it for a while, it very well might be something of that sort.

I don't think failure to solve is good enough evidence to dismiss this mystery. Not this one. The
numbers are given to us right in the text in a unique arrangement and Silk makes the sign of addition
over them. Where else does Wolfe do something like this? How could it not be significant?  I've messed
with it quite a bit over the past few years myself with no success though some of my attempts were
interesting. For a long while I was trying the cryptograph puzzle technique that Wolfe introduced
in 5HoC. No success.

Now, my best guess is that there is an association to the connection that Revelation makes between
the Seventh Seal and the 12 Tribes of Israel. When that Seal is broken, at the second coming of
Christ, representatives from the 12 Tribes who have been long sealed away, will appear in two groups
of 144,000 to repopulate the earth after the Armageddon. (slight variant interpretations exist)

The Pas seal being broken and stored Urth bodies being released to the Whorl seems awfully similar
to the Bible story. But so far I haven't been able to add the numbers grouped in a way that produces
the significant number. I've even used the warped math that Maytera Rose gives us in the first chapter
of Nightside but no success yet. Perhaps someone else can do it.