(urth) Theories

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Oct 23 15:59:59 PDT 2011

From: Craig Brewer

> I'll stop lurking for a moment to say that these two statements get my vote for the most important point of > this thread.

> António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Andrew Mason wrote (23-10-2011 20:01):
> >> I think that the visible stories often have real depth, which  theories
> >> of hidden meaning sometimes detract from.
>
> >This is a crucial point, in my view. Let me repeat it: the visible stories
> >have real depth.
That’s kind of where I’m coming from too, in fact it crystallises what I feel is so wrong about “boatman as Inire” theories: what do they do to Dorcas?
Ryan makes the valid point that “Severian is a puppet” is a possible reading.  But is it an interesting reading, especially if it makes everybody a puppet, not just Severian?  Would Wolfe want to write about a load of puppets?  Maybe (he wrote War Beneath The Tree), but I have a feeling that even if he did, he’d have written at shorter length.  And in that story Bear fought his fate even though he could not prevail.
- Gerry Quinn