(urth) Horn's ability

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:13:20 PDT 2011

>> James Wynn: However, I think it is a mistake to assume that the saint
>> names were chose haphazardly for the characters. Given the deep level
>> of Gnostic detail carved into these books, it is extremely likely that
>> the saint name Hethor was settled on precisely BECAUSE it was also the
>> name of a Gnostic angel (an Astra, ie. "star", that is a "fallen star",
>> that is a "fallen angel" ). And it would be very like Wolfe to craft a
>> character that refers to both of those etymologies...as well as others
>> such as "Hector" or the English primrose variety known as the "Hethor Giant".
>
> On 10/27/2011 11:05 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
>
> Sigh..unfortunately I feel the need to continue to harp and hector (heh)
> on about the wrongness of Hector as a possible inspiration for the name
> Hethor. I can't get over the spelling and sound change (though I understand
> that Hethor and Hector sound more similar in other languages than in my
> American ears).

Wolfe is not at all adverse to puns rather than explicit references to
mythology  using *actual names*.  An example escapes me at this time,
but he does it.

Additionally, the connection between the names might be even more
explicit. It depends what reference Wolfe was using and the connections
that might have gone off in his head. I suspect that Hathor (alternately
spelled Hethor) is astrologically connected to Hector and they might be
etymologically connected as well. Wolfe might have assumed the same as well.

Of course, I don't say he has drawn that connection. But the subtle
differences in spelling and pronunciation are not an impediment.

J.