(urth) Horns abilities

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:57:59 PDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 10:04 AM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
> What's the deal with it being semi-physical?  Is it 'out of body' even
> though you can physically influence stuff in the place you 'go' to?
> It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen (because it's not as
> simple as time travel on one hand or visions on the other, etc.).  And
> Wolfe's introduction and development of it narratively (especially in
> In Green's Jungles) is one of the most jaw-dropping, mind-bending
> experiences I've had in reading.
> -DOJP

They are disembodied spirits (ghosts, if you will) with bodies fashioned
from "dream-stuff". Thus they can die in dream-travel and their bodies
remain. Their bodies that they left, are not killed in that case, but
are left senseless and souless. If your sleeping body dies in dream-travel,

"Do you recall how, when you were hardly more than a boy, I taught you
the art by which we flesh sons from dream stuff?"
[...]
"For though he did not know why, being of the stuff of dreams he was
drawn to her; and she, whose eyes held starlight, to him."
Chapter 17, Claw of the Concilliator