(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 06:48:39 PDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 8:47 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Hethor is the name of a minor demonic magistrate and we are told his real, concealed name is
> something much older. But I am supposed to think Gene Wolfe means his real name to be "Hector"
> simply because that is a common name? (it isn't common in the USA, btw). Sorry, but this
> does not sound like Gene Wolfe to me. Especially not in the Sun Series in which names and naming
> systems are of such obvious importance.

Certainly "Hector" should have significance, even if ironic. But what's
a demonic magistrate?

What of the other suggested names: Kimleesoong? Heston/Colonel George
Taylor?

I'm not sure a friend would appreciate having a pervert named for him.
Hethor doesn't seem the type to have followers anyway.

The PoA reference is great thought oblique. Still, it sums up why Hethor
is here at all---his ship got lost in the fabric of space and ended up
crashing in the far future Urth.

Beyond that, we really don;t need to know much more about him, since we
already know quite a bit. He is a symbol of perversion of lust, power,
and technology. As controller/lover of Agia, Queen of the Greenwood,
he's got it made in this urthly plane, at least in terms of
sensual/sensory satisfaction. He's been led aside by his desires and
he's OK with that.