(urth) Father Inire as Dionysus

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Oct 24 13:54:05 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> Gerry Quinn:
> > As far as I remember, the only ship Hethor mentions serving on was
> > called the Quasar.

> Yes, as I mentioned in a recent post, it was a fairly common 70's- 80's SF trope
> for the passageway between universes to be a black hole on one side and a quasar
> (white fountain) on the other. An appropriate name name for Tzadkiel's ship, no?

Tzadkiel’s ship is, IIRC, called ‘The Ship’ or perhaps Tzadkiel.  But anyway it’s not all that appropriate, really.  Tzadkiel’s ship does not appear as a white fountain when it travels between universes.

> >It seems that, like Jonas, he came from Urth, and relatively near our own time.

> If I remember correctly, Jonas says he got his knowledge of Earth (Lewis Carroll
> books, Theseus myths) from reading books on his ship. (a ship where "our own time"
> doesn't have a lot of meaning)

But he came from much closer to our time.  He recognises names from that era in the Antechamber.  And we learn that Hethor had a similarly old-fashioned name.

> >Agia: "His name isn't really Hethor, by the way. He says it's a much older one, that
> >hardly anyone has heard of now."

> "Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name"

Hethor isn’t much of a Lucifer.

And don’t forget the clothes he sold in Agia’s shop.  They weren’t Hiero clothes – they were ancient Urth clothes, but preserved by relativistic time dilation.  Hethor’s ship, like that of Jonas, like all or most of those ancient ships, got lost in time and wound up in the distant future of Urth.

Now I don’t rule out Hethor serving on Tzadkiel’s ship at some point, and he certainly sailed on many-masted ships with mirror sails.  But we don’t have any information about his career, really, except that he retired sans pension, sans paracoita.

- Gerry Quinn