(urth) Theories

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Sun Oct 23 17:01:44 PDT 2011

I don't think anybody disputes the substance to the visible story, but on its own, Severian's hero quest is not "best sci fi series of all time" material, sorry to say. It is the subverted meanings, the parables within the text, the actual "style" of the novel also (unreliable narrator) that make the story truly special.

As far as Severian as a puppet. No if that were the visible story, it would not be interesting at all. But as a potential hidden story unbeknownst to the narrator telling it to us, it certainly is a crafty, interesting, and potentially genius revelation, no?

...ryan