(urth) Silk's Origin

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Oct 23 03:46:43 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff

> As a participant in one of those discussions, I feel it's incumbent on
> me to put in a word here. For what it's worth, this was exactly my own
> impression. At least one recent discussion would have been more, er...,
> EFFICIENT, if some relevant background had come forth earlier.
>
> I don't want all my dots connected for me, but "It's just not important"
> is a really unsatisfying response to a hypothesis!
I don’t recall the specific discussion, but usually when I say something is “not important” I mean it doesn’t have any very wide implications in the scheme of things.  Maybe it’s the colour of someone’s dress.  Maybe it throws an interesting light on some part of Whorl culture.  Maybe it alters the history of a minor character.  Maybe we are not told.
For example, when the Neighbours went to the Whorl and infected it with Inhumi, we don’t know whether they drilled their way in, hacked into airlock controls, contacted elements of Mainframe, or got in some other way.  We don’t know the details and it’s not important.  [If it *were* important - if it significantly impacted the storyline in some way – we *would* have been told.]
- Gerry Quinn