(urth) Inire = Severian Jr.?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:04:24 PDT 2011

>Ryan Dunn: This may sound radical, but is there ANY chance that Inire could be the
>offspring of Apheta and Severian?

At a glance, this theory sounds as insane as any of my theories do. But, for me it
gains a lot of credence if we can likewise consider that Father Inire's sowing
of wild oats gave rise to Severian.

RttW has that cryptic but in some ways clear description of an ambiguous father-son
relationship between Typhon/Pas and The Outsider. Wolfe's linkage of The Outsider to
Dionysus suggests a parallel father-son ambiguity to that of Zeus and Dionysus.

My current guess is that Inire started out serving Tzadkiel but, like Lucifer, mutinied
and fell from grace to Urth. We know Tzadkiel can break off shape-shifting portions of
him/herself to serve in various capacities as his/her agents-crew. Perhaps Inire started
out as one of them?

Ryan, would your theory work if the Severian-Apheta mating actually produced Tzadkiel (and
thus, indirectly, produced Inire)? Tzadkiel is extremely deferential to Severian
despite Severian's very inferior human status and understanding of what is happening.

Tzadkiel says he was an acolyte of Severian in a previous iteration. Could Tzadkiel's
admiration for Severian be partly that of a son to his father?

Severian spawning Tzadkiel spawning Severian makes a nice parallel to the human race
spawning the hiero race who travel back in time to (in a sense) forge a new and better
creation of humanity through the genocidal eschatology and genesis involved in the Flood
and creation of Ushas populated by new (and presumably better) humans.