(urth) Silk's origin

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:29:24 PDT 2011

>> Lee Berman:
>> Why sad, Marc? I've noticed for a while now that you and James are on the same page on this. Perhaps you have been the proverbial ships who pass in the night, missing each other's posts?
>>
> Marc Aramini wrote
> Heh heh, no, it's just James graciously posted up my essay almost a decade ago that confronted this. He must have read it.

I have read it, although, it been years since the last time.
http://urth.org/whorlmap/chras-writers/default.htm

The thing I liked about the theory was that you were dealing with
references and obvious plot elements in "Short Sun" other people just
ignored (and some continue to) because they didn't like the
implications. I thought your willingness to make an authorial clue out
of the hybridization plot element to be positively ballsy. That's still
true. You were addressing the puzzle in the grandmother's tale and it's
possible implications before anyone else that I know of.

Lee is right that we read Wolfe the same way (the right way). And I
absolutely agree that the Neighbors are some of the trees on Blue
(probably the ancestors of all of them), and the inhumi are the vines. I
don't know how Wolfe (being the writer he is) was likely to be more
overt about that. I'm just really unsatisfied with how you got there.

On the other hand, yours is the ONLY theory that ANYONE has put to
together to explain it--including me. When I posted your theory, I had
hoped I would eventually have three or four theories of similar
comprehensiveness to post. Never happened.

J.