(urth) Urth-Earth links

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 19:13:33 PDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 10:01 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, October 19, 2011 20:38, Lee Berman wrote:
>>
>> As I see it the difference lies in that there is no consciousness in a
>> liver or cornea.
>>
>> If a head transplant or brain transplant seems rather horrible, a partial
>> version of that
>>
>> as alzabo/autarch analeptic is, seems partly horrible.
> If they are entered into freely, how are those horrible? It's not as if
> Severian suffers from his participation, quite the opposite. Appian gets
> less dead rather than more, and the predecessors also get to lend their
> wisdom a bit longer.
 From that perspective, it's no different from getting scanned and
uploaded. A little scary, maybe an ethical question or two, but you do
it because the alternative is worse.

But that's almost a trip to the dentist in comparison. We're discussing
cannibalism in the form of a mock Last Supper. I submit that there are
other, formal  considerations here that are higher than choice and
self-determination.