(urth) Urth-Earth links

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 06:25:31 PDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 7:54 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* Lee Berman <mailto:severiansola at hotmail.com>
>
> >Gerry Quinn:
> > > Both sides use the alzabo glands, for example.
> > >Typhon uses high technology
>
> > I do not agree. Are you refering to the alzabo-like substance
> > which transfers memories from the old Autarch to Severian? My
> > interpretation of the story does not allow for this sort of thing
> > to come from angelic B, F and O.
> They aren’t angels. For example, they engage in technology transfer
> with Baldanders, who vivisects women. The alzabo essence as used by
> the Autarchs is apparently benign [and the alzabo itself is described
> as having been brought from a distant planet for the use and benefit
> of mankind, although perhaps whoever said that was allowing him or
> herself a touch of irony – I don’t remember. It may well be that they
> were initially confined to zoos or farms. Like the inhumi, the alzabo
> would be simple animals if they did not feed on people.]

Is the term "angels" used here in its sense of "agents of good"? I'm not
sure I see the slightest hint of morality or ethics anywhere in Briah,
on any "side."

Then again, I don't see angels themselves as particularly "good."

> > Wolfe, in an interview, refers to the alzabo ceremony as a
> > "diabolic eucharist" iirc. It seems clear that the memory transfer
> > from autarch to autarch is the same sort of process and thus is
> > equally diabolic and not the sort of thing which would come from
> > angel analogs. Fallen angels on the other hand...yes that is a likely
> > source.
> The Eucharist is also the same sort of process as a diabolical
> Eucharist. Might not this be the appropriate analogy? There is
> certainly one analogical element, as in the autarchial process, the
> memory donor voluntarily offers himself as a sacrifice, which is not
> the case in the “diabolical Eucharist” of Vodalus and his followers.
Again, I don't see any worthwhile distinction between fallen and
unfallen technology. Both processes are unspeakable perversions but it
is their users (and uses) that distinguish them.

> > p.s. Yes Typhon uses high technology but they are ancient machines
> dating
> > back to a time before Urth became technologically backward and had
> to rely
> > on the dribs and drabs provided by limited cacogen contact. So his
> machines
> > are not a part of this discussion.
> That seems arbitrary. Both sides use whatever physical technology,
> biological technology or other magic is to hand, in my opinion. That
> also seems in accord with the other works of Wolfe, who does not, I
> think, consider any form of technology intrinsically evil, but only
> the uses of it.
I agree with this, but I also see First Empire technology as of native
derivation.