(urth) Urth-Earth links

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Oct 19 04:54:58 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

>Gerry Quinn:
> > Both sides use the alzabo glands, for example.
> >Typhon uses high technology

> I do not agree. Are you refering to the alzabo-like substance
> which transfers memories from the old Autarch to Severian? My
> interpretation of the story does not allow for this sort of thing
> to come from angelic B, F and O.
They aren’t angels.  For example, they engage in technology transfer with Baldanders, who vivisects women.  The alzabo essence as used by the Autarchs is apparently benign [and the alzabo itself is described as having been brought from a distant planet for the use and benefit of mankind, although perhaps whoever said that was allowing him or herself a touch of irony – I don’t remember.  It may well be that they were initially confined to zoos or farms.  Like the inhumi, the alzabo would be simple animals if they did not feed on people.]

> Wolfe, in an interview, refers to the alzabo ceremony as a
> "diabolic eucharist" iirc. It seems clear that the memory transfer
> from autarch to autarch is the same sort of process and thus is
> equally diabolic and not the sort of thing which would come from
> angel analogs. Fallen angels on the other hand...yes that is a likely
> source.

The Eucharist is also the same sort of process as a diabolical Eucharist.  Might not this be the appropriate analogy?  There is certainly one analogical element, as in the autarchial process, the memory donor voluntarily offers himself as a sacrifice, which is not the case in the “diabolical Eucharist” of Vodalus and his followers.

> p.s. Yes Typhon uses high technology but they are ancient machines dating
> back to a time before Urth became technologically backward and had to rely
> on the dribs and drabs provided by limited cacogen contact. So his machines
> are not a part of this discussion.

That seems arbitrary.  Both sides use whatever physical technology, biological technology or other magic is to hand, in my opinion.  That also seems in accord with the other works of Wolfe, who does not, I think, consider any form of technology intrinsically evil, but only the uses of it.

- Gerry Quinn