(urth) Typhon's nature

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 07:12:43 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
>On 10/17/2011 7:51 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

>> > Wolfe is already necessarily picking and choosing among disparate
>> > mythologies. I see Milton's Satan in there plain as day, because Satan
>> > raped his daughter to produce all the sins of the world. I could go on.
>> I never heard that myth, and I also don’t know that Typhon raped Cilinia. Maybe he did, but I don’t see it in the book,
>What am I supposed to say here? Gerry, you need to read more of what Wolfe has read. Milton's Satan is a
>character in Paradise Lost. I won't cite it further.

I admit I haven't read Paradise Lost, but I took a quick look at Book 2, lines 740-850 or so, which seemed promising.  I saw where Satan had consensual sex with his daughter, Sin, and got her pregnant.  Death was born (tearing through Sin's entrails) and later raped her, producing monsters.  Does Satan rape her or some other daughter at some other point?

Jerry Friedman