(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 05:32:44 PDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 7:51 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> > But here we have kindergarten mythology leaping out at us. Echidna is
> > well know to be the mother of monsters. Typhon's and Echidna's
> family is
> > a veritable pantheon of divine monsters. The onus is on you to deny a
> > theory of how this situation came about and what it means in New Sun
> and
> > Long Sun. You'll need to do more than sit back and yawn if you wish
> your
> > denials to be taken seriously.
> Sure, they are given the names of divine monsters, and that accords
> with their behaviour, or at least the behaviour of some of them.
But only the visible behavior, right? Nothing offstage, hidden from us?

> > Why should Wolfe care if he recasts a father as a son to create this
> > debased and pagan Olympus? You say yourself that allusions don't
> matter!
> > Wolfe is already necessarily picking and choosing among disparate
> > mythologies. I see Milton's Satan in there plain as day, because Satan
> > raped his daughter to produce all the sins of the world. I could go on.
> I never heard that myth, and I also don’t know that Typhon raped
> Cilinia. Maybe he did, but I don’t see it in the book,
What am I supposed to say here? Gerry, you need to read more of what
Wolfe has read. Milton's Satan is a character in Paradise Lost. I won't
cite it further.

No one said Typhon raped Cilinia, however orgiastic his inclinations.
The Sun series is not a police procedural.
> and Wolfe does not write the sort of modern literature in which it is
> a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman who is in the
> possession of a fucked up nature must have been raped by her father.
Perhaps you have been reading too much of that literature, whatever it
is. Stop.
> Also in Long Sun, as distinct from New Sun, Typhon is a Demiurge
> perhaps, but he is not Satan.
The two are not so different as you suppose---certainly not mutually
exclusive.

> > But incest couldn't possibly happen in New Sun! No, Wolfe would avoid
> > this topic, the bread and butter of half the mythologies (and ancient
> > dynasties) of the world, to avoid upsetting Gerry Quinn with the
> > covertness of its secret histories.
> There IS incest in New Sun – at least two major instances - and we are
> told about them in the story and in what characters say. Wolfe doesn’t
> hide silly clues in peoples’ names by naming Agia and Agilus after Van
> and Ada, say.
Has anyone argued that Wolfe hides silly clues?
> Tell me where the story is advanced by Echidna being Typhon’s sister.
The potential implications have been explained over and over.
> And tell me why nobody, even people who knew Typhon, remarks on it ever.
Would it advance the story?
> And tell me why, if Wolfe wants to indicate that Typhon’s family are
> going through the motions of replicated characters in an ancient myth,
This is a classic straw man.
> or at least one selected version of it, he spoils it by giving
> Typhon’s son the name of his father?
I suspect he needed another god, and allowed that the pantheon designers
(since I doubt those are their real birth names anyway) were working
with patchy information, like any student of mythology.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111017-0, 10/17/2011
Tested on: 10/17/2011 8:32:45 AM