(urth) Urth-Earth links

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 07:37:38 PDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 10:27 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* Gerry Quinn <mailto:gerry at bindweed.com>
> > As for the mermaid’s kiss, the fact remains that Baldanders doesn’t
> need it.
> > How the kiss would have worked, I don’t know – perhaps Juturna’s saliva
> > contains nanomachines that would have restructured Severian’s body for
> > underwater living, or perhaps Wolfe would have been content to leave the
> > matter unexplained. But Baldanders already has his gills, hidden in
> plain
> > sight by Wolfe as he likes to do.
> And (I should have noted) Juturna has no antigravity belt, and she
> could certainly have benefited from one. Nor, if I recall correctly,
> does Severian mention any gills, though I suppose it may be that his
> eyes were drawn elsewhere. The technologies, magicks or whatever are
> different.

I like the idea of Baldanders giving himself gills. But then who and
what is he? Why is he doomed to grow so large?

Would it not work just as well if he's of Juturna's race and size, and
those are natural gills Sev mistook for scars? Are we to believe Juturna
must come up for air like a whale? What is her race anyway: is she a
large human who swims deep, or a fish evolved to be humanoid? Let's get
our assumptions straight.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111017-0, 10/17/2011
Tested on: 10/17/2011 10:37:39 AM