(urth) Urth-Earth links

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Oct 17 07:27:38 PDT 2011

From: Gerry Quinn
> As for the mermaid’s kiss, the fact remains that Baldanders doesn’t need it.
> How the kiss would have worked, I don’t know – perhaps Juturna’s saliva
> contains nanomachines that would have restructured Severian’s body for
> underwater living, or perhaps Wolfe would have been content to leave the
>  matter unexplained.   But Baldanders already has his gills, hidden in plain
>  sight by Wolfe as he likes to do.

And (I should have noted) Juturna has no antigravity belt, and she could certainly have benefited from one.  Nor, if I recall correctly, does Severian mention any gills, though I suppose it may be that his eyes were drawn elsewhere.  The technologies, magicks or whatever are different.

- Gerry Quinn