(urth) the long and short of it

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 15 08:54:54 PDT 2011

>larry miller: can anyone tell me what Borskis argument for BotSS in the long and
>short of it is?  I have been unable to  get my hands on a copy and
>since finishing my reread Im desperate to hear as much analysis on the
>book as possible.

Well, I can tell you that the title of that "book" (really a collection of essays)

is misleading. The vast majority of it is about other WOlfe works. It is pretty

short. Shorter than Solar Labyrinth though, imho, it is far more concise and provides

less fantastic speculation and poorly thought out conclusions.

I think in Long and Short Of It, Borski provides the best analysis and most interesting

conclusions for Fifth Head of Cerberus, Peace and the Latro/Soldier series.

He barely mentions Long Sun and he is pretty pedestrian regarding Short Sun. I think you

can find better discussion and analysis here. He connects Babby and Pig. And pointlessly

decides that Seawrack's real name comes from some Irish seaweed or something.  He

discusses the mystery of how Inhumi accomplish interplanetary travel. He argues that Pas

is a Neighbor.

I think he is not as good at tying things all together as the combined efforts of the people

contributing to this list. But, for the 5HoC and other stuff, I'd say the book is worth

reading. I think I got my copy from AbeBooks online. They seem to have a number of copies

still available, some of which can be had for under $20 US.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=borski&sts=t&tn=long+and+short&x=0&y=0