(urth) Urth-Earth links

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 13:08:05 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 10/14/11, Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Urth-Earth links
Date: Friday, October 14, 2011, 12:59 PM

Ah, thank you.  I remember that part of Long Sun now.  In reading these books, it seemed more that the Outsider was reminiscent of Christ (the Outsider being the "real" god in the midst of a number of fake ones) than Severian.

I guess I am thrown off by the term "Christ figure" because it seems to be overly allegorical.  The savior hero archetype existed before the historical Christ; I guess I just think in those terms instead.

But there is evey ridiculous allegorical parallels.  At one point, he is tempted by the satan figure with almost identical verbiage.  Bow before me and all this will be yours..  are you hungry?  I got some food for you too.  The temptation of Christ in the wilderness being replayed verbatim, healing the sick, resurrecting the dead, hastening an event that almost ends the world, overtly overtly Christ like.

How WOULD you make a Christ figure if ripping off conversations between Christ and the Devil directly from the bible doesn't do it? (except Sev kills the devil there, but the words are the same.  but Christ comes back with a SWORD, remember the old prophesy?)