(urth) [BGSpam]Re: Typhon's nature

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:25:03 PDT 2011

From: larry miller
> Does anyone think this telepathic-internet might be connected with
> Cyriacas story?
Interesting idea.  My instinct is that Cyriaca’s story relates to a much earlier time, and she makes no mention of Typhon but refers instead to a machine-dominated society.  But it’s not inconceivable.
One other  reason for doubting it is that it seems improbable that Wolfe had thought of Mamelta when he wrote Cyriaca.
- Gerry Quinn

Some think the monarch who planned to destroy all human books/knowledge was Typhon but I dunno. My memory is a little fuzzy on Cyriaca's story but I think it is primarily meant to provide a framework for the creation of the Hiero-types we hear more about in Malrubius' story.  If the hieros are like angel-analogs then the ones who are personally assigned to
people, like Malrubius and Triskele for Severian, become "guardian angels" I guess. The
old Autarch says he got one too.

I'm tempted to think that the hieros are related to the Long/Short Sun story. Maybe somehow
they are related to The Neighbors? But I think some Wolfe quotes have suggested that isn't the case and Long/Short is just a side story rather than relating to the universal future which the hieros represent.