(urth) Silk's origin

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:19:42 PDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 1:14 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> (Food for thought: it says [Chenille's] like a female AUK.  How about real misdirection?  Horn thinks Silk is the heir of Typhon and plants clues to hint at it when maybe it was always somebody else)

Well, I've always kind of suspected something like this.

1) But you still have the "son not of my body". If Auk is the *actual*
son and intended heir, then how is he not the son of Tussah's
body--unless you interpret the term as I do.

Additionally, I've mentioned before that there is a weird pairing of
Silk and Auk in the story at narrative and figurative level. Silk
shrives Auk before the robbery of Blood's house. Auk shrives Silk
afterwards...insisting he confess all he did without leaving anything out.

On a figurative level, Auk and Silk divide the acts of both Hesphaestus
and those of Aristeaus between them. I've often toyed with idea that
Silk is a clone of Typhon and Auk/Tussah are clones of Piaton. If Auk
was also a clone AND the intended heir that moves the "son not of my
body" prophesy into a really twisted area--because Auk is the son of
Typhon but only the son of Piaton after they became the same person.

Again, all this only works if you can accept (what I think is
inescapable) that Wolfe has sprinkled embryos all over the books and the
embryos are clones (many of whom, at least,  clones of Typhon's family
and court).

2) The second problem with Auk as the intended heir is *why didn't he
inherit*?  Clearly Tussah expected the gods to accomplish it, so what
went wrong?

J.