(urth) Silk's origin

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Oct 13 11:51:55 PDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 2:14 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> I know what you are saying about wolfean types of statements, I still
> think that's just talking about adoption in this particular case with
> the complete lack of physical similarities between Chenille and Silk.
> (Food for thought: it says she's like a female AUK. How about real
> misdirection? Horn thinks Silk is the heir of Typhon and plants clues
> to hint at it when maybe it was always somebody else)
Now that's interesting. Was Auk the heir of Typhon, but somehow (the
Outsider?) Silk rose up instead? Could Tussah have been wrong, or else
right in a more tenuous sense than we are considering (perhaps as
"patron" rather than "father")?
> I really really really think this statement is non-interpretively
> saying, "although he is [my son silk] not of my body [from my
> genitals/ from my genetic material], my son [i bought and paid for him
> and planted him, Silk's my son, I came up with idea] shall be Calde
> after me"
I agree that there are noncorporeal ways Silk could be his son. I don't
see pure legality as useful, since this adoption evidence would then
have to be brought forth for the people to see or the judges to examine.
If Silk's inheritance is extralegal, no such process is necessary.
> Don't mean to argue with you so excessively but I just can't read this
> statement the way you do. A beast with three horns, sure, I can
> wiggle, but this time he is saying Silk isn't of his body, though is
> his son. If he was grown from a rib or cell, he would be of his body.
I agree in general, but there is certainly wiggle room. In a world where
artificial insemination is commonplace and well understood, yes. Where
it is not, maybe not. And of course, plenty of couples use sperm from a
bank to get around the male partner's sterility; these men raise the
offspring as their children. I think that fits your interpretation.
Tussah did not raise Silk, but this illustrates the flexibility of the
concept of "son."

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111013-1, 10/13/2011
Tested on: 10/13/2011 2:51:55 PM