(urth) What should I read?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:43:49 PDT 2011

I'll chime in on recommending Wolfe's short story collections - I haven't
run into one I didn't pretty thoroughly enjoy, but Doctor Death is probably
the one that's as consistently rich as New Sun and feels like it prefigures
it in many ways.  I heartily agree with the recommendation of Cerberus and
think that's probably the best next stop.  And I must put in a good word for
The Wizard-Knight duology against its detractors.  It is in some respects
rather frustrating or unnerving or annoying or some such thing (which of
Wolfe's books aren't?!), but I think it's truly masterful and up there with
his greatest stuff - after attempting New Sun and not being sure what I
thought, it was Wizard-Knight (and then the collection Innocents Aboard)
that got me thorougly mesmerised and hooked and led me in to the entirety of
the Solar Cycle and everything else.

-DOJP