(urth) [BGSpam]Re: Silk's origin

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 12 07:42:58 PDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 9:16 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* James Wynn <mailto:crushtv at gmail.com>
> > There are two big questions in the Whorl cycle that I think we are
> > supposed to resolve but I see zero solutions to them:
> > 1. The relationship between Silk, Tussh, and Typhon.
> > 2. How does an inhumi become a vine?
>
> I’m comfortable with the concept that the relationships are simply
> those described in the book:
> 1. Silk was grown from an engineered embryo bought by Tussah. His
> genetic parents on Urth have no significance to the story. Silk’s
> scanned persona later merged with the remains of that of Typhon.
> 2. Inhumi are animals, and have no relation to vines. [It may of
> course be that particular plants of Green are of some nutritional
> significance to the water-breathing juvenile form of the inhumi.]
> - Gerry Quinn
Is it possible that Typhonic genes were inserted into embryos? Silk may
then get some parts of Typhon's genotype but not others. So with Mucor.
None would look like him.

Would this not be the simplest form of genetic engineering? After all,
Typhon would not want the technology that produced him, if there was
such, to be widely available or reproduced. He's the kind of guy who
would say, "Make me a superman" and then kill his scientists. But his
DNA could be closely held and put to use to make partial Typhons, none
of which could arise to challenge him in his new body or newest iteration.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111012-0, 10/12/2011
Tested on: 10/12/2011 10:42:58 AM