(urth) Typhon's nature

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Tue Oct 11 14:21:57 PDT 2011

On Tue, October 11, 2011 14:22, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Larry was right to point out that Typhon probably senses the "powers"
> more than he "speaks" with them. But they are plainly Erebus and Abaia,
> or I have never read a word by Wolfe and live under the South Pole in a
> rusty tin can.

Typhon's ship commanders slipping away before he knows it argues against
his long-range ESP.  He mentions the Asciians in the same breath as the
beasts and knows they are beholden to them as the old autarch and Vodalus
later confirm. This is entirely consistent with him retrieving Asciian
signal intelligence from automated listening posts; Vodalus confirms they
use long-distance comms.

Typhon's sending of his thoughts into distant places remains a somewhat
curious idiom if it is not literal, but it is not entirely without
precedent in literature and bombast and other figurative expression.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab