(urth) Silk's origin

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 08:08:58 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 10:30 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> > Which leads me to another angle. Is there a classic SF model from which
> >
> we could derive rules of cloning "behavior"? For example, Asimov's Mule
> >
> is a genetic mutation giving rise to super-telepathic powers; therefore
> >
> he is a precursor to Typhon that we can "observe" in action. Has some
> >
> author already worked out this cloning business?
> Gene Wolfe, maybe, in Fifth Head of Cerberus?
> In 5HoC, clones are essentially identical, irrespective of the
> surrogate mother. In fact, cloning is banned on civilised planets
> because of this “anti-evolutionary” characteristic.
> In BotLS, of course, embryos are (or have been) routinely engineered,
> and presumably this could be done just as well with clones.
> - Gerry Quinn
That's a possibility. I don't recall it, but if that's how it works in
FHoC, I'll accept it. (Sorry, James!)

OTOH, the engineers could just as well work artificial variation into
the procedure. Might Typhon have had some reason (political,
psychological) to ensure that none of his clones would look like him? If
one escaped before the Whorl was launched ....

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111011-0, 10/11/2011
Tested on: 10/11/2011 11:08:59 AM