(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 10 07:19:04 PDT 2011

On rereading, it is somewhat ambiguous---

"No, I was not born as I am, or born at all, as you meantit. Nor was
Piaton grafted to me. I was grafted to him. "

---but still leads to only one clean conclusion. Typhon is referring,
with "as I am" to his apparent two-headed condition, since Severian
plainly asked about it, but "or born at all, as you meantit" must be an
aside referring to something Severian did not refer to except with the
word "born" itself. Severian has no reason to think Typhon was NOT born,
so his assumption is the usual kind of birth (but including c-section as
a matter of course, since he is familiar with it). In addition he asks
how Typhon got that way.

But Typhon does not think of his current configuration, with his head on
a whole body, as "himself" but rather as his riding a "steed." He means:

---I was not born with no body of my own
---Furthermore, I was not born at all, with body or not

The rest is a response to Severian's "was Piaton's head attached to
you." Thus, Typhon was not originally born in the usual manner.

Any other interpretation would require that Typhon thinks of himself as
two-headed. He doesn't. If he did, he would mean:

---I was not born two-headed
---I was surgically made two-headed

So that's not what he means.