(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 10 05:43:37 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 3:30 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 10/9/2011 8:05 PM, larry miller wrote:
>> Or maybe that particular body of Typhons was grown from an embryo (Or
>> one of Jonas beans) and then downloaded into it when his original body
>> died?  I dont have the book on hand but I also seem to remember him
>> commenting on the longevity of physical bodies in contrast to the
>> longevity of consciousness.  Perhaps this wasn't in reference to human
>> bodies but to his original alien form.  Any thoughts on his other
>> comment about sending his thoughts out?
>
> If Typhon was a clone to begin with, and  could transfer his
> consciousness at will, why bother with the head graft? Just possess
> another clone brother.
>
> Consequently, I believe that Typhon's disclaimer of being born must
> have been originally a reference to his then surgically assembled
> nature. His thoughts being sent into far places could easily have been
> him spying through the remaining technological outposts similar to the
> speaking machines in the Matchin Tower and Valeria's reception hall.
> He may have had telepresences there to keep his ruling face au courant.

Except that this would require "outposts" at the south pole and under
the sea.

True that any embryo-implanting technology should encompass cloning,
since we know cloning was used to create the uhlans, and therefore the
head graft would seem to be rendered unnecessary by mind-transfer
technology. However, we don't know for sure whether mind-scanning is
fatal (as in TFHoC) or not, and Typhon is not a guy who would want a
second Typhon running around even briefly. Doesn't that make it a little
less simple? (As opposed to godlike possession powers, which clearly are
not called for here---we know Pas was created by scanning.)

I don't think the head graft could possibly be taken as a form of
"birth" in any sense. Something more like actual birth is meant.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111010-0, 10/10/2011
Tested on: 10/10/2011 8:43:38 AM