(urth) Pike's ghost

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:51:42 PST 2011

>larry miller: I dont think Inire was on Urth during Typhons time.

>He may have made visits to that time period via his mirrors but IMHO

>I dont believe he started taking part in Urths history until after

>Typhons downfall.  I wouldnt rule out though that he had a part in

>elevating Ymar (another lowly torturer) to the throne and establishing

>the line of Autarchs. Perhaps these were the purpose of the

>aforementioned visits?

Okay, so if I understand your view correctly, Inire's purpose on Urth is

to groom and support autarchs, with the eventually ascension of the right

one to New Sun status? I think this jibes with Borski's view and quite a

few others on this list (my own view differs).

>Gerry Quinn: In this case, the notion that Typhon would have wished or

>intended to live on as a pickled homunculus in a jar.  We actually know

>how he lived on.  And when he met Severian, he did not ask about the

>homunculus.

Nice try, Gerry, but no. At least you are understanding that Typhon on Urth

sat on a throne and was the subject of the pornographic painting. But your

attempt to play dumb here isn't working. I know you are smart. Smart enough

to know that a body prepared in waiting to receive a host personality needn't

remain as a fetus nor pickled in a jar once the upload has taken place. You

are just pretending to not get it. Why would Typhon ask Severian about the

mandragora? Why would Severian be expected to know about that?  Anyway, isn't

Typhon more into telling Severian things than asking? Anyway, nice try.