(urth) Pike's ghost

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 09:09:19 PST 2011

>>> António Pedro Marques wrote:
>>> Why do you believe enlightenment came to Patera Silk in the ball court?
>>
>> Because the text says so.
>
> If the text says so and everyone can go look and everyone is supposed
> to have read it once, isn't it a bit tiresome to have to repeat at
> each turn what the text says?

You know, ironically, I thought I answered that question in the text
that followed. But I'll approach it in more detail.
Answer: Because this is literature, and words can have more than one
meaning. And because events carefully described can have different
significance based on interpretation (thus we have Detective novels).
And because, that's the field when you are discussing Wolfe.
But (here's the beauty) you are /not/ required to engage anyone for whom
you believe conversation is pointless. Embrace your freedom. But if you
engage, it is always pointless if you approach it with the presumption
that it is someone else's job to prove you wrong.

> If everything everyone does has unspeakable motivations,
> why point out that this or that action have unspeakable motivations?

That's like saying that because we are all sinners, discussion of good
behavior is pointless. It's like saying that anyone who condemns
behavior is "self-righteous", anyone who earns a decent salary is "greedy".

>>> And what in your view constitutes smugness?
>>
>> I think I just described it.
>
> If so, one could argue that smugness is in the eye of the beholder.

Of course you can argue that. Most of us hail from free countries.
But being smug doesn't require that you are wrong. It only means that
you are not applying to your own theories the rigor to which you are
with great adamance  disputing others. It is a hypocrisy in which the
hypocrite has satisfied himself that his hypocrisy is "authentic". It's
like a tyrant who believes everything he does is just because God put
him there. The "smug" has constructed a palace of mirrors that all show
/only/ himself and always in the perfect light.