(urth) Pike's ghost

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 12:17:41 PST 2011

I'm not sure Typhon actually believed that his face was the source of
his charisma. I think his face was simply the face his charisma was
attached to, and he as much as said so: "it is the face [and I think he
was speaking generally here] that men are accustomed to obey ." Echoing
Malrubius' "attachment to the person of the monarch" and meaning only
those men who are *already* accustomed to obey it, not that as many as
ten generations from now men will suddenly obey a man with a magic face.

[The only way that could work is for Pas to have been made to look
exactly like Typhon and kept in view so that Pas could pop into Silk,
who meanwhile looks as much like Pas as possible, and be tyrant again.
But Pas was murdered, or people presumably would have been writing
"*Pas* for Calde" on the walls. So the whole Oz-like plan appears to
have been rather fuzzy. Pas's face is not exactly everywhere, even
allowing for the campaign to erase him. Typhon's own face may have been
almost entirely unknown, since showing it had no purpose---no one knew
who he was. The "Is Silk Typhon?" question is not whether Silk looks
like Typhon but whether he looks like Pas, with whom Silk has no precise
genetic relationship, despite some arguments to the contrary.]

Furthermore, I don't see any evidence that Silk is persuasive *because*
of his face, although he must be good-looking enough. He's persuasive
because he's decisive and humble and smart and sees things clearly.
These may or may not be Typhonian characteristics.

Pas also may have been turned by the Outsider. But do you mean *Pas*
would download himself? Funny, it seems to have almost gone the other
way---or maybe it did---with Pas getting Silk's face but staying on the
Whorl.