(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Nov 27 13:28:34 PST 2011

From: Larry Miller

> Severian sees him as a "man" because Piaton is a human.  Typhons head
> however may closely resemble a human or might even be the head of
> another human body he possessed so that could explain why Severian
> doesnt remark upon any alien characteristics.
I don’t see much reason to think he is non-human, though he may be an off-world human.  Sure, he doesn’t have a saint’s name, but then again he made himself into a monster of sorts (Baldanders may have done the same).  His family appear to be human, and Cilinia, the only other of his family to be named, bears a saint’s name.  He’s apparently human enough to breed with humans.  And nobody suggests he is not human AFAIK.
> His psychic abilities
> (if he does possess any) seem to be quite different than Decuman who
> IIRC is the only other human who has any mental powers.
I think Decuman was merely the most powerful sorceror in his group, not the only one.
> His comment
> about sending his thoughts seem much more in common with the astral
> travel done by the Inhumi and the Neighbors who are not human.  It
> seems Typhon engineered abilities akin to his into humans (as in the
> case of Mucor) later.
I still reckon he is just referring to communications technology here.
- Gerry Quinn