(urth) Pike's Ghost

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 09:45:42 PST 2011

>larry miller: I think hes an alien mainly because
>of Wolfes naming strategum and some things that he says to Severian.
>When telling him about his grafting to Piaton he mentions the solar
>decay and says "I should have left then."  I think maybe hes refering
>to escaping back to his homeworld.  His comments about "sending his
>thoughts into far places" are a reference to some psychic abilities he
>has (and I know there are those on here that disagree).  And theres
>Severians initial description of the newly resurrected Monarch.
>"...it was as though one of the monstous constellations of the night
>sky had fallen to Urth and clothed itself in the flesh of humankind."

I think your reasoning is spot on, larry. If Wolfe wanted us to think

of Typhon as a normal, Commonwealthy sort of human he would have been

given a saint name. Other non-human aliens are given Roman names like

Inire, Cumaean, Barbatus and Famulimus. Alien monsters are given monster

names from mythology like Abaia, Erebus and Scylla. Why should Typhon not

follow the same rules?

I think idea makes greater sense if we consider that humanity has been

out in space for a long time at the time of Severian's story. Aliens

may well be mutated, evolved humans in origin.

In my understanding, when Wolfe uses mythological names then leaves gaps

in our knowlege about the characters, the gaps may be filled using

mythology. Gods, demons and angels could never appear to humans in their

true form. They always had to assume a human (or animal or other) form to

walk among us. Thus with Typhon. (and Scylla/Cilinia?)

The Mandragora (myth Typhon was a mandragora) is a good clue that Typhon has

human bodies with special abilities cloned for his personality to be downloaded

into. We see this process continued on The Whorl and that feeds into the idea

that Silk was a clone of Typhon. I think it makes more sense to think that Silk

and other special individuals were created so that they might become a receptacle

for the gods.

Another unmentioned hint that Silk was prepared as a receptacle for Pas

is Typhon's mysterious hair color. We are told the two headed guy has

one dark-haired head and one light-haired head but we aren't told which

is Typhon and which is Piaton. There are clues which can tell us that

Typhon was, in fact, the blonde but why would WOlfe make it such a secret

unless it was supposed to be important? For whatever reason, Typhon/Pas seems

to like inhabiting blond guys.

FWIW, I think the original mystery of the blond/dark hair might have to do

with Typhon's (and Spring Wind's?) association with Alexander The Great. He

was a blonde Macedonian commanding an army with many darker coloured Greeks.

(aside from the parallels of Spring Wind/Typhon to Alexander there is the issue

of Alexander's supposed, claimed godhood which resonates).