(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Nov 21 10:13:41 PST 2011

From: James Wynn
On 11/21/2011 11:31 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > So we have an exact timeline. The long-nosed man visited him the day
> > after Krait’s visit, and Krait visited for the second time some hours
> > after his astral trip.
> > This confirms what was already clear from the “thirst” clue.

> Look, Gerry, I'm willing to debate when he sees the Neighbor and why.
> But not without establishing that Horn has died. We simply are not going
> to agree about the meaning of any portion of this scenario or most of
> the rest of the novel without agreement on that. Further discussion is
> pointless.
Well, then it is up to you to present an explanation of the long-nosed man, because as I said – and you seem to be tacitly conceding – a ‘late’ appearance by him is not easily made compatible with the hypothesis [and I’m sorry, but it *IS* only a hypothesis, one I do not share] that Horn died and was replaced by him.
He’s a big problem for the ‘Horn died in the pit’ theory.

> I think I understand why people have a problem getting over this hurdle,
> but I can't pretend anymore that I respect their Short Sun theories
> which essentially reflect that they have failed to do so. I respect the
> criticism of many Listers who hold that view, but I don't think their
> interpretations are going to help me more fully understand what is going
> on in this novel. I think there is little point in discussing Short Sun
> without agreement on this point. It is THE pivotal event as the narrator
> states, and their interpretations fail to appreciate that fact. In a
> very real sense, the novel ends at chapter 8.

And nothing will shake your belief in your theory, even being shown how events clearly described in the narrative contradict it.

- Gerry Quinn