(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun Nov 20 11:41:57 PST 2011

I think the problem with your approach is that you seek the "absolute" - not
similarity (in certain - important - respects), but identity; death must be
death (not in a metaphorical sense); neighbours cannot just be connected to
the trees (e.g. trees be their "totem"), but must be related to them in
a very strong sense (e.g. be
their genetical "children") etc. To me the power of Wolfe's SF is that
at the same
time it is very subtle psychological literature - and very precise and
deep and realistic description of humanity (not only humanity).

Have not many of us (I mean this list!) have such strong ties with
somebody (a friend, a lover, a parent, a dog... ) that one could say that
he left a part of himself in this person (or has an "imprint" of
this person in himself forever)? Why discussing Babbie we need
to assume that all that was left of Horn went into him?

Had not some of us had situations when it was possible to say
(seriously!) that a better part of us (our soul) died?

But do we need after that say something like "poor NN,
after his divorce all that was left of his former soul
went into his dog"? We may - but why we want
to understand such things literally reading Wolfe?

Sergei Soloviev