(urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 17:43:05 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 2:54 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
 >I was reading shakespeare today and the term huswife came up,
 >and I realized it was just a form of house: I think Babbie is like a
spirit house.

Yeah, I knew it was Scandinavian for house. And I understood that the
word referred to Babbie's ability to take in souls. It's just that the
whole thing seemed rather overt for a Wolfe naming  MO.

 >Also, your contention that Horn is part neighbor is good,
 >I am just not sure he is fully neighbor and fully human in that way.
 >He is still spiritually inferior to Silk even after his time in the
pit: a self-serving man.

Well okay. But there is a long period while he is on the Whorl that he
does come off very Silkish. He does strike that man who gave him the
corn but I the man attacked HIM (I could speculate, but it's not exactly
clear to me why he did that). I don't think Wolfe would consider
self-defense a mark against one's character. I don't not believe the
Neighbors morally superior other than that they don't prey on others.

 >Also, your contention that Horn is part neighbor is good,
 >I am just not sure he is fully neighbor and fully human in that way.
 >He is still spiritually inferior to Silk even after his time in the
pit: a self-serving man.

I don't really see him that way. Because he cheats on Nettle? Those vows
were "until death do us part".
Even before he fell in the pit, I didn't hold it against Horn since I
think Seawrack was designed to be literally irresistible.

 >If the neighbor portion of him is there, it has not made him
"better" in the way that Silk is good,
 >so I can't quite liken it to the condition of Christ being fully human
and fully divine.

I don't think we're expected to take it that far. The Rajan is a
Christ-figure, not Christ. Just as is Severian (who is far from perfect).
The Rajan is a mediator between Neighbor and Man (not God and Man as
Jesus is). He is an impossible combination of two incapitable entities.
100% of both. He is a sense a Trinity. Wolfe is exploring and
rationalizing these facts. The Rajan is not to Jesus in the same way
Aslan is.

 >I will on my next re-read of Short Sun, probably next year,
 >pay careful attention to hints that he is or is not a neighbor,
 >but I am still sticking with the external neighbor Horn paradigm
 >for now as something distinct from the resurrected Horn,

Well, as with all Wolfe stories, you invariably end up with 3 or 4
equally defensible big theories without the textual means to finally
choose the *right* one. That's why I like it when I think I can identity
more than one external paradigms that I can use to *check* a theory. I
think the connection between Neighbors (greenbuck and the pit) and
Faeries (white deer and faerie circles) with the story of Prydain from
the Mabinogion is meaningful in Horn's story. And the connection to
Actaeon  (son of Aristaeus) reconfirms it.

I think you should /consider/ accepting the possibility that Green is
not post-Ushas, but Eden (I like your "jungle as Eden" analogy). In that
case, Blue could be the companion satellite that collided with Urth to
form Lune. "Trees eating people to form Neighbors" is absolutely vital
if Green is Urth's future. But it is totally unnecessary if the Green is
in Urth's past. You might be right about the hybidization as an
important clue, but it might not mean what you think it does.

 >I need to look at the text holistically again.
 >(fasting was a trait of Silk when he was scared of being selfish)

I don't think he would have to fake eating in order to fast. I think it
is really important that he doesn't show any genuine interest in eating
until the Spring. I consider that additional evidence that the Neighbors
are the trees.

One advantage you have over me however is that at least you have settled
in your own mind how the inhumi are/become liannas. I could say that
when inhumi feed on Neighbors in dream-travel form, that their children
take the form of vines. That would get me there.